How To Save Money On Your Energy Bill and Reduce Risk This Winter
Winter is approaching quickly! Now is a good time to prepare your home for winter and learn a few tips and tricks to help lower your bills. Read below for a few short and long term ways to help you save money on your energy bill this winter. Plus, a few tips to reduce risk and avoid insurance claims.
Here are a few short term tips to help you save money on your energy bill:
- Put your ceiling fans on low clockwise so they push warm air down
- Close off rooms that you don’t use very often – close the door in those rooms and place a door seal at the foot of the door so cold air doesn’t seep out
- Check your furnace filter every month and change it a few times a year
- Reseal your home – weatherstrip your windows and caulk any air leaks
- Use LED lights instead of traditional light bulbs
Here are a few long term tips to help you save money on your energy bill:
- Consider installing a new smart home energy thermostat – these thermostats learn patterns and automatically adjust
- Upgrade your kitchen appliances to Energy Star certified and evaluate your other major appliances as well
- Consider solar power
The change of weather can also mean costly home insurance claims
Here’s a few tips to reduce your risk this winter:
- Remove your outdoor hoses and let the water drain out so it doesn’t freeze
- Protect your pipes by letting your faucets drip if the temperatures are below freezing
- Clean your gutters and check your roof before snow and ice hits
- Check trees near your home for stray limbs or anything that potentially could cause damage
- Keep your driveway and walkway clear and salted to avoid falls
Here’s to staying warm and safe this winter!
Hoch Insurance in Fort Wayne, Indiana and Leo, Indiana provides home insurance coverage to keep you protected through every season in life.
Contact us and we would be happy to help with your insurance needs!